Monday, March 28, 2011

Homemade Corndogs

I ran across this recipe today here.  I really like corndogs and I hope to be able to make these soon.  They sound pretty easy and the pictures looked really good.  If you try them before I do, leave me a comment and let me know how they turned out.


Homemade Corn Dogs
  • 1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
  • scant 1 cup milk (I used skim)
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 cup yellow corn meal
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 10-12 hot dogs
  • brochettes or wooden skewers, cut in half
  1. Preheat some oil in a deep fryer or large skillet to 365 degrees. You need it to be a couple of inches deep and the pan needs to be large enough to fit the corn dogs in.  I used my Le Cruset oval dutch oven.
  2. Place 1 Tbsp of the vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measure cup.  Then add enough milk to measure 1 cup.  Stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour,corn meal, sugar, baking powder,salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.  Add milk and eggs then whisk until well combined.
  4. Insert skewer in hot dog and dip in batter. Coat hot dog well and fry in 356 degree oil until golden brown. Drain on towels.

No comments:

Post a Comment